Thursday, November 07, 2013

Sanding A Veneer Dresser

Yup.  Surprise, surprise.  It's veneer. 

If you're dropping in today and wondering what I'm talking about, I'll catch you up.

I got all inspired to finish the boys' room.  Found a dresser on Craigslist and decided I should try refinishing & painting it.  Then I started stripping and sanding on the weekend.  Drawers look great.  But not all the finish came off the dresser itself with the stripper.

Ok, you're up.

I picked a warm-ish day this week to sand the remaining finish off the dresser.  It was warm, but it was rainy.  So I set up shop on the front porch.  (Warning: this is a post-renovation porch that hasn't been replaced or really even tidied up yet)


I started with a sandpaper block but it wasn't doing much.

Before Sandpaper
After Sandpaper

Yeah, no.  So I brought out the big gun and sanded away. 


Which is when I found this.... 

VENEER!

Ugh.  I had a bad feeling about this.  It was in my gut.  I should have looked closer.  I just didn't think about it...I got too excited about turning it into my inspiration. 

So I did what any DIY person does.  I googled. 

Turns out you CAN strip and sand veneer, but only if it's thick enough.  Seeing as how I already stripped and was part way into really sanding this puppy, I crossed my fingers and forged on.  Knowing that, thick enough or not, I can always paint this sucker and call it a day. 

Back to sanding.

After Sanding

Aha!  Much better than before!

Before Sanding

There is hope.  Moving on.

It was at this point that my neighbor came home.  I didn't know he was gone.  But anyone who has worked with a palm sander knows that thing is loud.  So I sanded and didn't stop until I was done...cringing the whole time.

Done Sanding

The left side looks just like the right side.  Great shape.  The top, however....

Uh.

I don't know what that is.  The only thing I can think of is this: the stripper penetrated the veneer and discolored it from below.  :(

I'm still forging on.  I'm going to try staining it and see what happens.  The plan was to stain it dark anyway, so maybe the marks will disappear. 

If not, I can always paint!

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment