Monday, October 28, 2013

Inspiration And A Sander

So...post-reno, most of the rooms in this house are complete.  As in, well thought out, functional, arranged and (mostly) crossed off my list-of-things-to-do.

As they should.

Except this one.

Boys Room

It's not that I didn't think about this room when we were renovating.  I knew who was going to live in it and that it would have a bunk bed.  But the thinking part went so far as figuring out where in the room that bunk bed would go.  Then I moved on.

This room needs more than a bunk bed.  And I needed a little inspiration.

Source

Yep, love this look.  And it can work in our house.  Modern & cozy.

So, I set out looking for a dresser.  That antique in the corner wasn't cutting it...  Kijiji led me to this.


Similar lines.  Love the legs.  Swap the hardware.  Refinish and/or paint. 

Are you seeing it?  I am. 

And instead of this guy, I took his brother.  Better fit in the room...you'll see.

Then I googled for a rug.  Hard.  Ugh.

Enter Target.


This is where I have to pause and thank my mother.  Even though Target is here in Canada, it does not hold a flame to the original.  Out of stock, dingy and messy here.  It makes me sad to say it.  On the other hand, it makes for a great excuse to call my mom, even if it's to ask her to make a Target run. 

Although, props to the 3rd Target Canada I went to (on a quest for stumbling upon this rug here), for new bedding for the boys.  I took the last two comforters and they haven't been restocked since. 

Before
After

Sorry.  Worst pictures ever.  Small room.  Bad lighting.  Stupid iphone. 

Henry has dinosaur sheets, Jake has sports sheets, same blue comforter. 

Ok, enough about sheets.  Let's see how close I am to inspiration...

Goal
Getting There

Ok!  Well, no.  Not nearly there yet.  But on the way...

I'm happy with the rug.  It's less gray and more brown, but it works with the hardwood.  It's soooooo plush.  And not shedding.  That's a score in my book.

Dresser

(Ignore the unhung pictures - still deciding)

There's the brother.  Three drawers per kid.  It fits perfectly between the closet and the window. 

I like that you see it immediately upon walking in the room.  Or just by the room.


I like the lines and the legs.  I don't like the shape it's in.  So here's the plan.

Source

Was this the longest way to get to a sander?  Does it all make sense now? 

I have never ever painted furniture before, but I am taking the plunge with this Kijiji score and you're coming along for the ride.  I still have three kids, so it may take a while.  But I have a plan and I'm excited. 

About those three kids.  Notice anything else in this picture?

Umm...A Crib Too?

I know.  It's crazy.  We have 5 bedrooms and they all want to sleep in the same small one.  But when else in their life will they ever want to do this again?  The plan is a rollout bed when George outgrows the crib in February. 

I have 40 minutes of naptime left - gotta investigate a good sander...

No comments:

Post a Comment