Monday, July 29, 2013

Not Done Yet

This renovation has been a huuuuge job. 

We ended up gutting two entire floors, rewiring the whole house and added a last minute staircase replacement.  And a deck.  We've been in the house for 3 weeks now and work still continues.  But the deficiency list is now one page long instead of three. 

I can see light at the end of the tunnel! 

Back to where we left off, the outside.

Before

And here's where we were a few days later.


Progress

The tall wall covers the back of our neighbor's shed.  It was such bad old siding, there was no other way to camouflage it than to clad it.  The fence is intentionally less private.  The gaps allow for some sun to shine through.  

There's been progress inside, too.  Like window coverings.

Living Room
Dining Room

Ignore those boxes.  The piles are getting smaller and smaller.  Really, they are.

Pantry

And I'm getting more function out of my favorite 4' x 4' space in the whole house.

That's the thing about a renovation.  Settling back in.  I'm trying to be careful about finding the right place for the right things.  If it doesn't fit, I'm putting it aside and considering Craigslist or Goodwill.  But if it's something I love, I'll wait for a year (sorry, Steve).  It's an Oprah rule: if you don't use it for a whole year, it's a purge candidate. 

Then there's the whole repurposing things I loved in my house before the renovation...remember this little banquette?

Pre-Renovation: Kitchen

It's found a place in the basement!

Post-Renovation: Playroom

I'm so happy it works.  I was afraid it would end up on Craigslist, too!  Right now, it's jammed full of toys and flanked on either end by white 8-square Expedits.  That means it's not pretty or organized enough for a good picture.  I'll leave you with that mental image.

At the end of the day, as disorganized as I'm feeling, I'm loving our house.  We're settling in nicely.   It's feeling like our home again.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment