Friday, April 19, 2013

2nd Floor Demo

Admittedly, my focus has been mostly on the main floor.  I'm craving my livingroom.  I'm dreaming of my kitchen.

It's all opened up and I can't wait to live in it.

But after I stopped in today, I'm kinda giddy about the 2nd floor, too...

We decided to demo the 2nd floor, after finding out there was no sign of insulation in any of the exterior walls.  And I am so glad we did. 

2nd Floor before

Initially, we were going to go as far as replacing the baseboards & leveling the floor.  Keep the plaster on the exterior walls (the left wall in the picture above) and keep the framing but apply drywall to the interior walls (the right wall above and studs behind the kids).

Then we decided to demo. 

2nd Floor after

Now she's as empty as the first floor.  And I love it!!!  Do we really need bedrooms!?!?

Opposite View - Staircase to the 3rd Floor

I love it because I can see all the bones.  And they are good.  Really good.

We found one little surprise in the back ceiling, in the area between those two windows.  Some water damage from the flat roof above due to structural sagging.  But an in-budget fix has been proposed and I'm not going to worry about it until I have to.


Also found was an old bird's nest above one of the bay windows in the master bedroom.  See that light spot above the window and below the bottom of the wood triangle?  That's a hole to the outside.  Nice.



Then there were things we didn't find.  See that black stripe in the planks?  It extends the length of the entire exterior wall.  It's a missing wood plank.  Instead, the old tar paper is exposed.  You can see a 2nd missing piece on the adjoining wall to the right.

But luckily, this isn't an issue because we're sprayfoaming the whole floor.  Phew. 

Next up is a pow-wow with the designer and contractor to go over the floorplan.  Now that we have actual measurements, we can address that steel post in the kitchen and move forward with more framing.  Window and slider installation is on the horizon, too.

How many months to go in this apartment??

No comments:

Post a Comment