Tuesday, June 19, 2012

This Project Took 8 Months Too Long

Yes, this should have been done in October with the completion of the basement renovation.  But then came some other kitchen fun and living room changes. 

So here I am, 8 months later, taking care of business.  And I'm so happy with the results, I am kicking myself for not doing it in October.

Here's what I'm talking about.

Hello Insulation and Electrical

The now defunct cold air return at the bottom of the main floor staircase.

Since we switched around the ductwork in the basement during the big dig & finish, we had to find a new spot for it.  So we did.  But were left with this.  Our HVAC guy's suggestion was to cut a 3/4 piece of plywood to the opening beneath the grill and spraypaint it black like the grill.  Easy!

He told us his idea a year ago.  So...why not get on that...???

From Homie D

I've never ever spray painted anything before.  But I've read plenty on other DIY blogs about the joys of it.

Thin coats.  5 or 6 of them.  Easy does it...don't over spray. 

One Coat

I think I got a little overzealous with the spraying.  It was thicker than it (probably) should have been.  But it went well for my first time and I only needed two coats.

Then I put it back in place.

Magic

Me: "Steve!  Look!  It's so much better!"

Steve: "It will be even better when you spray paint the grill."

Right!

More Magic
Done!

It's perfect.  And it took me no time at all.  Didn't even need naptime.  I literally put an arrowroot in George's hand and zipped out while he watched me through the back door.  I was back in the house before that cookie was gone.

I love projects like that.

So, here's my favorite part.  Before and after.

Before
After

Me:  "Steve, check out the grill."

Steve:  "Wow - it really makes a big difference."

Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment