So here's what we did yesterday.
Oh yes we did.
Let's start from the beginning.
This room is officially called "The Sink Room". It's a room that's at the end of our 2nd floor hallway that you must pass through in order to get to the master bedroom. And it has a sink in it.
|View from the Hall|
Because we don't want to add a toilet or shower to this room to make it a real ensuite - its end-of-the-hall location and front window give it a spotlight - future plans include removing that wall on the left and merging it with the current master bedroom. One day.
So that's the background. Here's a bunch of dirty and dusty pictures.
|Cutting the Drywall|
Steve researched the heck out of this project. He took the lead. Since we know there is drywall leading up to all three sides of the brick, he cut the seams to help the plaster crack away at the right spot. While he was doing that....
|Door to Master|
Then we got started. Steve began by cutting a small square with the carpenter's knife and chipping away with a screwdriver.
Yup, here's my moment. I always get one. Every project. The point of no return panic attack.
But this one disappeared quickly because as soon as I changed into my working outfit, I came back to this.
Once we put the screwdriver down and used the proper chisels, it started coming off like crazy. If you chiseled gently, you could get whole two-handed pieces to peel off at once.
At this point, I put down the camera and we both went to town.
An hour and a half later, we took a break for lunch.
Another thing we kept our eye on was a pipe we started uncovering.
When I started uncovering it at the baseboard, I was worried. As I got higher, I was intrigued. Now that it's completely uncovered, I don't know if I love it or hate it.
It's a pipe - maybe 1/2 inch wide - with a T at the top.
It seems to be part of the original construction of the house. My guess is it's a water pipe, maybe for a shower. Steve thinks it's gas. Either way, we can't figure out why it has a T at the top. This is the shared wall of our semi-detached house, but the T just ends. It doesn't go through to our neighbor.
Either way, we can't decide if we want to keep it or get rid of it. For now, it stays.
After lunch, we took some action shots.
|Mask & Goggles|
I'm never in pictures on this blog because I'm the one taking them.
|Hello...I'm Working Here|
You might be wondering what 106 year old plaster looks like. Here it is:
|Between 1/2"-3/4" thick|
1/ morter with horsehair (you can see wisps of it on the right side in the pic above - we were told it was horsehair, anyway....helps with the insulation/sound barrier-???)
3/ paint - as chunks came off, the blue chipped away to a red-hued color
Overall, 85% of it came off in chunks that we could break off and put directly into bags. The rest chipped off easily but hit the floor as we gently chiseled. There were only two small areas where we had to work at a stubborn patch of mortar.
After 3-1/2 hours of chiseling, we had this.
|See the Line?|
Two hours later, we had this:
A little less mortar-y/crusty, but still rough enough to have a character-filled finish without looking dirty. Make sense?
|Still Sorta Mortar-y|
Then came my favorite part. The clean up. Steve thought I was being sarcastic. But I honestly really truly love to clean up after any project because that's when I get to see my hard work in all it's sparkly clean glory.
*Disclaimer* I hate that sink. It's the same crap build as the kitchen cabinets & countertop. But it serves a major functional purpose for me every morning and night, so I embrace the ugly. For now.
And now, after cleaning an inch of mortar, plaster and brick dust off the floor, may I present our DIY exposed brick wall.
Waking up to see it this morning put a smile on our tired faces. Now to finish the job by washing the brick and then sealing it. Always more work...
...and more updates to come!